Inside and Outside Roulette Bets Explained
Nowadays, you can try your luck at land-based establishments and online websites across all devices, which is why casino enthusiasts and amateurs need to be aware of the proper ways to place bets on the roulette betting layout.
According to table protocol, bets can be placed up until the dealer declares the opposite, just before the last 2-3 spins of the ball. As for the types of bets, inside and outside ones are distinguished based on the layout’s structure.
Inside Bets in Roulette
These bets are named for their central location on the betting layout, but they are further distinguished based on the field combination:
- Straight-Up Bets – This is the simplest and most rewarding bet in roulette, as it requires players to place their stake on a single number of the betting layout. Should the chosen number win the roulette spin, players are paid out 35 to 1;
- Split Bets – Players dwelling between two numbers adjacent on the layout can bet on both with a split bet. Just place the chips on the line they share and should you hit a win on either of the two, you will be paid out 17 to 1;
- Street Bets – These allow players to place bets on the three-number rows at once, just by placing the chip bet on the outside line of the bottom number in the row;
- Corner (Square) Bets – Four adjacent numbers share a mutual corner where their vertical and horizontal lines meet on the layout – placing a bet on this corner allows players to make a corner bet (8:1);
- Sucker Bet – The American roulette version provides the Sucker bet type, placed on 00, 0, 1, 2 and 3-numbered fields when the chips are on the shared corner between 1 and the outside line;
- Line Bets – Any two adjacent rows of three number fields on the layout can be used to place the line bet, with players setting their chips on the bottom numbers’ shared corner. Should the ball land on any of the six fields, there’s a 5:1 payout on each chip.
Outside Roulette Bets
- Outside bets are more straightforward, as you will soon see, as they have marked fields on the betting layout:
- Dozens – Players can choose between the 1st, 2nd and 3rd dozen fields on the layout, and place their bet by simply setting their chips on the specific field;
- Columns – A different set of three dozen fields is available via the column bet – players can place their bet by setting the chips on the 2:1-marked field at the end of their chosen column;
- Colour – The bottom outside part of the layout contains two fields marked or coloured Red and Black, for bets on the correspondingly coloured fields;
- Odd/Even – Next to the Red/Black fields, there are Odd and Even-marked fields, so that players can bet on the odd or even numbers on the wheel (0 not included);
- High/Low – The final contrasting pair of field combinations as bets is high/low, standing for the number range 1-18 for low, and 19-36 for high.
updated: Tuesday, November 27, 2018